Woods Hole Recipes This is only the beginning of my many recipes. If you have a fond memory of a recipe during your stay, please email us and I will be sure to include it. Thank you and Enjoy.
Neville's Mama's Bread
This is the bread that i serve just about every evening I can. It has become a daily favorite. It satiates the appetite. Warms the home and purely and simply fills the belly with shear goodness. It's one of the simplest ways i could imagine one to make bread. Simple ingredients, easy directions.. make for good bread. From their, get creative, add spices, add textures, add anything you want to make this bread your own.
Ingredients: Yields 2 small Loaves
4 cups flour
2 cups luke warm water
2 tsp yeast
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil.
1. Knead Flour, Water, Yeast, & salt. As the bread merges into a nice doughy consistency.. not too wet and not too dry,
2. Add the vegetable oil. Knead the vegetable oil loosely into the dough, leaving the oil to cover the dough.
* I don't spend all day kneading.. I simply get my ingredients combined.. knead for a nice doughy consistency and let the dough Rise. It is best to knead more than less, to ensure a good activation of the yeast.
3. Let the dough sit for 4 hours or until the dough has doubled. You can make the dough before you go to work and arrive home to bake the bread.. or before you go to bed. The dough will be a bit more sour, but still mmm..mmm... good.
4. After the dough has risen, shape the dough into to loaves. I keep it simple. I grease my pan. Pull off half a hunk of dough, pull it out to the shape of a long loaf and set on a greased cookie pan.
5. Let Rise for 20-30 more minutes. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees
6. Bake the loaves for 20 minutes or into hollow sounding when tapped on the bottom
7. YUMMY. Enjoy fresh warm bread
You can also use this dough for a pizza base and cinnamon roll base
Sesame Tahini Vinaigrette Yields 1 quart
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Tahini
1/2 cup Sesami Oil
Michael likes to add fresh squeezed orange, garlic, or other catchy spices to enhance the flavor.
He also likes to use a version of this dressing as a marinade...
Pork Chop/Chicken Marinade Yields for about 6 pork chops
1 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Sesami Oil
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange or frozen concentrate orange juice
5 cloves of garlic
*Let marinade for an hour or so. When serving, use the marinade on a rice on the side.. mmm..
Aioli (or the Green Stuff) Yields 1 quart
Parsely (about 4 cups)
6-8 cloves of garlic.. more if they are small
3/4-1 tsp salt
Chop the Parsley thoroughly. Crush the garlic, add the salt. Cover the Parsley, garlic, and salt with olive oil. Serve. MM..mmm. This recipe is even better the next day. For storing.. you can store on the kitchen counter if it gets used up in a matter of 2-3 days.. or in the friddge, if you want it to last a while. Set in a warm bath of water to liquify the olive oil.. as it will solidify in the fridge..
*Aioli is great on bread, as a pizza topping, on rice, on meat, on anything.. ENJOY.
Hashbrowns Yield 1/2 potato per person unless they are really big or small potatoes..
Vegetable oil or Lard
Cheese and Chives
1. Grate Potatoes.
2. Grease Cookie Sheet. Spread Grated potatoes evenly across pan. The thicker the layer of potatoes the longer time needed to cook and crisp bottom.
3. Dollop grease on potatoes. Cover Potatoes with Tin foil or pan lid, to keep steam inside.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes. If you are cooking for 1-2 you may need less time.
5. After 45 min, remove lid, this will help crispen the potatoes on bottom.
6. Add the cheese and chopped chives once the lid is removede.
7. Bake for 15 more minutes.. or until desired crispness is reached..
8. Enjoy right away. Potatoes don't stay warm long, once out of the oven.
Creme Brule French Toast Serves 8
One loaf of Neville's Mama's Bread (see above)
1 1/2 cups Buttermilk and Milk (you can use just milk or half and half)
5 large Eggs
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 cup Raw Sugar, 1 stick Butter, 1 tsp Cinnamon (optional)
1. Grease Pan
2. Melt Butter, Add Sugar and Salt and Optional Cinnamon
3. Pour into Pan.
4. Slice enough Bread to cover 9x13 pan. Laying Flat, Side by Side. Stuff the spaces/holes with extra bread
5. Crack and whip eggs. Pour egg and buttermilk batter over bread and melted butter..
Yes. It will look like a lot of liquid.. but it will soak into the bread overnight.
6. Cover and Soak in the fridge over night
7. Pull from the fridge 30 min-1 hour prior to baking so that it returns to room temp.
8. Pre-heat oven to 350. Bake 350-45 minutes or until eggs/buttermilk cooked. If needed turn
the oven up to 400.
Copyright . Woods Hole Hostel. All rights reserved.